When I am in that place it helps to look at many of the major characters in the Bible.
- Noah spent 120 building a boat to save his family and some animals from a flood.
- Moses spent 40yrs in Egypt, 40 years as a shepherd and 40 years leading Israel in the desert.
- Abraham waited for years to have the child he was promised.
- Jacob worked 7 years for his wife, then had to work 7 more to get the wife he asked for, b/c his father was dishonest.
- Joseph was sold into slavery and ended up in jail for years before becoming 2nd in charge of Egypt.
- Rahab lived the life of a prostitute, before being used to save God's people and eventually joining in the lineage of God's own son.
- David, was chased and harassed by his predecessor, and then even some of his kids turned against him and tried to kill him.
If you have been chasing a dream for a while, be encouraged to know that the character of God, is to spend years training and preparing people for the work he has called them to do. It is discouraging to be in that place, but rest assured that the above Bible characters thought it was discouraging too. Know that He is preparing you for a great plan that he has for your life. Keep putting one foot in front of the other and use this time when he is training you to grow into a deeper relationship with him. Imagine that you are in group of recruits being prepared for great missions. At some unknown time, God is going to come get one of the recruits for a great mission. Do everything you can to be the one he chooses.